I am sooooooo happy that warm weather is finally here! It was 82 degrees and super sunny today in Chicago! Spring and Summer are my favorite time of year for all of the activities and get-togethers, as well as the nice weather. I always feel more motivated and energetic with the warmer days, so here’s to hoping I can be a better role model as an RD as the weather heats up! My summer goals include:
PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: Do something active at least 5 days a week.
- Within the 5 days, I know I will be playing softball 3 days a week.
- I hope to run at least 15 miles per week, since I tend to fall off the running bandwagon if I’m not training for a specific race.
- Also my gym has lots of fitness classes, so 2 days a week I hope to attend strength/toning classes.
EAT LIKE AN RD:
- Main goals are to eat Veggies with 2 meals a day, and fruit with 2 meals. I’m pretty good about eating fruits and vegetables when they are in front of me, so the main thing will be to make sure they are in front of me!
- Next, I plan to limit drinking alcohol to 2 days a week, a max of 2 drinks per time. This tends to be a trouble spot for me during the summer, because my softball teams usually go out for food and drinks, and as I mentioned earlier I play on THREE teams. And that is just during the week, not including weekend gatherings that could include fun summer beverages, so this will be a good challenge for me. (Sidenote: Anyone else notice that most people assume that you are pregnant if you aren’t drinking with everyone else? Very annoying!)
- Finally, there is usually alot of eating away from home during the summer with after-softball celebrations, holidays, and random potluck get-togethers. My goals in this area are to watch portion sizes, fill up on firsts so I don’t have a chance to overeat on seconds, order salads when at restaurants, and not to order french fries or tater tots. Fries & tots are a HUGE weakness of mine, so I figure if I make them at home occasionally instead, I can control how they are made and the amount available.
- In general, I will ask WWRDE? (What Would an RD Eat?) more often, and eventually I hope it will become more of a habit than something I have to consciously ask myself.
I’ll be sure to share my progress throughout the summer. What are your health goals (or renewed resolutions!) for the summer?